Tuesday, February 17, 2009

NiCE GenEs!

I've been thinking a lot lately about things I want to accomplish in my home life.
~Cleaning the kitchen every night
~Staying on top of the laundry situation
~Making meals everyday
~Cleaning up the toys daily
~Dusting more often
~Cleaning the bathroom more often than when we have company over

While thinking about all the things I wanted to have accomplished I realized that I am not my mother's child. She was so great to do all these things everyday. Our house was always so clean. Every night we all had a chore to do and when we all went to bed my mom was still up finishing the cleaning for the day. You could literally eat off her floors they were so clean.
I'm much the opposite, I don't care if my house is a mess when I go to sleep. I usually don't clean it when I wake up either. I just did not inherit my mother's cleaning genes I think. I know how to clean, I just don't have to desire to do so and I wish I did.

I'm curious as to what genes you did or did not inherit from your parents that you may have wish you did, or didn't.

9 comments:

Dani, Tanis, Rowdy and Rhett Marble said...

LOL. This is a great post. Sounds like I might have inherited your mom's genes! Dani laughs at me because it drives me nuts if everything isn't in its place! He says, "We have a 3 year old. The toys are not always going to be put away, he IS going to miss the toilet every once in a while, and your just lucky he puts his dirty clothes in the hamper!" My house is not spotless by any means, not ever. But it constantly drives me nuts! I am at a point where I am wondering if I am just my mother's daughter, or if I might suffer from a small amount of OCD! Thanks Kam for the fun post!

Munns' said...

I am the same way about cleaning. I Hate it but love how I feel when it's done! And it's so refreshing to know that someone else isn't perfect either!

Clark, Chelsea, and Pearce Harshbarger said...

I think you described my house in this post. I inherited my dad's knack for procrastination (actually both my parents kind of have that), and his passion for things we love. I inherited my moms great sense of creativity and artistic eye.

The Morris Family said...

I would love to have a clean house, but I don't want to do it! I feel like it is a battle that I can't fight in my life right now!Someone once told me that cleaning the house whil the kids are still growing is like shoveling snow when it is stil snowing!It makes me feel better anway! I think we all do our best, or something like that! My dad is a little OCD, about a clen floor, I didn't get that gene. My parents also love yardwork, I hate that one,too! I do think that I can be thoughtful like my mom and funny like my dad. Hopefuly my kids will get some of the cleaning genes from my parents or they might be real slobs!!!

Anonymous said...

Well Kami, I would have to say I inherited both my parents' lack of patience. You'd never know my dad was impatient, given what he lives with, but that's what I got!
Love, your cousin, Ginger

joni&dallassill said...

You should consider yourself lucky. I unfortunately have inherited the cleaning gene, and it's not that great. I wish I could go to bed with toys on the floor and dirty dishes in the sink but I can't. I feel like I am too hard on my kids at times and I feel like all I do is clean and I wish I could just relax a little bit and let some things go but no matter how hard I try, I can't.

Jaime said...

Sometimes I think that when we got older our parents got better at doing certain things. We don't remember when our parents were in the stage that we are in. Maybe they were just as bad. Just a thought. Maybe it never gets easier. OK trying to get the motivation to get off the computer and get the house clean.

Megan said...

This is really funny. I love your mom and her cleaning genes. I think you are a great mom! I love it that we start to see our parents in us or not in us as well get even older. haha. I miss ya Kami Jo! Love ya! :)

Bingham Family said...

Love it! my list would look just like that. If you figure out how to get all those things done in one day... let me know.

Out of Pocket

I knew that having a baby would max out our insurance deductible and the kids have needed their tonsils out for a while so this was the year...