Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I Just Died a Little Inside

I know that most everyone is feeling that financial crunch. I've been using the approach of ignorance when it comes to our finances. Today I actually sat down and wrote out what we need to make each month to pay the bills that we currently have. We were a few dollars short for our monthly expenses so we are working out a budget. Well one thing we decided we could cut back on was our tv package.
I cried as I was clicking on the button to downsize our programing package. Being dead serious I had tears running down my cheeks and I still get a little choked up when I think about it. I am pathetic. I have centered my life around my tv. I have a tv schedule for everyday of the week and I never miss a show. So I'm holding a brief memorial for the shows that have died today.

Goodbye.......
Project Runway
Top Chef
Jon and Kate + 8
Say Yes to the Dress
What Not to Wear
Property Ladder
Moving Up
Mystery Diagnosis
Bridezilla
Secret Lives of Women
Amazing Wedding Cakes
Intervention
I survived
Dirty Jobs
Deadliest Catch
The Soup
True Hollywood Story
MTV in general
VH1 in general
The Biggest Looser on Fine Living (That way I didn't have to miss House to watch it)
TBS - King of Queens, Raymond, Friends
USA - L&O Criminal Intent, Monk, Movie weekends

Who knows, with all this free time I'll have maybe my house will get cleaned, my kids will get some attention, I'll bake more sweets, and maybe I'll even pick up running on the treadmill. But most likely you'll find my glued to the computer screen watching You Tube to catch up on all my favorite shows.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

geez you freakin couch potato! signed
your husband

Jen said...

hulu.com has been a lifesaver for me and it's free!

Sarah Black said...

we just canceled our cable to save money too. i'm having a hard time without a DVR and being able to record stuff and watch it later. as jen said, hulu is a great free alternative.

Grandma's Joys said...

I have to admit we are feeling the financial crunch at our house, too, and I have thought about doing the same thing with our dish programing. I haven't been brave enough yet. You are so courageous! I hope it helps you guys out, and that you survive. If you ever get too close to death, call me and you can come watch my t.v. for a bit, and we can let the kids play! I feel the same way about going private as well.

kels said...

haha Well considering I dont' pay for my tv and we watch all the same shows...I will keep you posted!..Kels

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh! I love YOu!!! Heidi

Christensens said...

You are hilarious! I sure do love ya! But I have to admit...If I had to give up some of my shows...especially the biggest loser...I would MAYBE cry to...hence the MAYBE, ha ha! Love ya!

Bingham Family said...

Money SUCKS!!!! I know how you feel! like I said MONEY SUCKS!!

Ashley said...

I feel your pain. I haven't had ANY TV whatsoever since the end of August. I miss The Soup, What Not to Wear, and TBS the most :( but I pretty much forgot about how much I missed them until I read this post. Dry your tears. The sun will come out!

The Amarals said...

Holy cow! I have nightmares about giving up about half of those shows. I don't know what I would do. Good luck and don't worry everyone is going through the same thing!

Megan said...

You are really funny. I am sure you will survive but I would feel the same way if I had to separate myself from my shows :)

The Ralls said...

I feel your pain as well... I have to tell you that I laughed out loud when I read your comment because I blog stalk you too! With everyone going private Im freaking out cause they will all know!!!! ha ha. Im glad to hear from you and your kiddos are absolutely adorable! Tray reminds me of my own mischevious little guy!

mike|amanda|elle said...

first, LOVE the pictures up top. second? you're HILARIOUS! i was cracking up as i read that list and realized i totally watch 95% of those too on our DVR! i'm a crazy budget person (i really love budgeting, weird huh?) and w/ us moving a few months ago i was in tears b/c i thought we were going to lose our DVR/channels, which is pretty much our lifeline to entertainment since we're gone all the time! thankfully we called comcast and begged + our HOA covers some tv so we didn't lose much, but we totally gave up in other areas of our lives. we're pathetic!... and wow, that was an insanely long post! :)

Chelsey said...

HA WE SO KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. NATE THOUGH IS THE BIGGEST COUCH POTATO THAT WAS THE FIRST THING I SAID HAD TO GO SO THAT WE COULD LIVE WITHIN OUR MEANS... AND HE WOULD NOT ALLOW IT. SO I GUESS WE WILL GO WITHOUT THE NEEDS IN LIFE LIKE FOOD-MILK-LAUNDRY DETERGENT-A PHONE. THANKS TO MY STUBBORN HUSBAND! YOU CAN ALWAYS COME CLEAN MY HOUSE IF YOU GET REALLY DESPERATE WITH BORDOM I'M SURE OUR BOYS WOULD GET ALONG GREAT!!!

Out of Pocket

I knew that having a baby would max out our insurance deductible and the kids have needed their tonsils out for a while so this was the year...