Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ahhhh..... The Smell of Motherhood

I love it when I clean my house! I find all sorts of treasures hidden in nooks a crannies. Kinlee is really in the phase of hiding things. I'll open my oven and find a blanket. I'm trying to get into the habit of checking the oven before I turn it on.
But my favorite thing to find is sippy cups. I'm always on guard when I twist that lid open to see what's been left in a dresser drawer for who knows how many days. Usually it's water or Kool-aid, but there are those rare and joyous moments when the twist of the lid unveils the lovely wafting scent of old milk!
I've learned my lesson and now I hold my breath with every cup just to save my nostrils from burning which in turn causes my stomach to churn. Over time my smelly buds have built up a tolerance to the pungent odor and now it's something that reminds me that I'm a mom.
Ahhhhh.... the smell of motherhood can be intoxicating (or nauseating).

2 comments:

Jaci said...

i love this! i am just starting to experience this too. ike throws so many toy and shoes in our recycle bin that i have to constantly check it. i always wonder what they are thinking when they do these "projects" . messes are aparently learning acitivities?? that's what i read. oh brother! :)

Megan said...

This is really funny. Kids can just do stinky things sometimes. I love that you are holding your breath waiting to see what's inside those sippy cups. I experience similar things when I walk in my classroom each day and determine that it doesn't smell like 12 year olds until they come back from outside recess and I realize that they do really smell. It sounds like you are enjoying motherhood. What a great blessing! :)

Out of Pocket

I knew that having a baby would max out our insurance deductible and the kids have needed their tonsils out for a while so this was the year...