Monday, August 15, 2011

Sometimes I Can Craft

Sometimes I catch a crafty bug - it's kinda like the flu, it hits hard but doesn't last very long. Here are some things I did while I was in the mood.

Gallery Wall-
I had a lot of family pictures that I was in love with. I couldn't pick just 1 of each kid to display and I have a billion frames in boxes in my storage closet. So I decided to take my big wall of my family room and make it a gallery wall.
I started with pulling out all my frames so I could pick what ones to use and I knew what sizes I had so I could print my pictures. I laid them all out on my floor and did a rough design with them. Then I used my awesome artistic abilities and drew my design on paper so I could map out my pictures. I had to decide what kid to put where and make sure I didn't have 3 of the same kid clustered together.


I had to paint some of my frames and I wanted to add some color to them so I picked 4 frames to paint blue and painted the rest black. That's what the green outline is, showing which frames to paint blue.

 I printed my pictures at Mpix and I love the metallic prints! So I got all my big pictures in metallic.


Then the fun part. Tracing all the frames onto paper so you have templates for hanging your frames. It was a pain in the butt but so worth it. I only ended up making one mistake by not making one template the exact size so my spacing in one spot was off and I ended up with a visible oops hole. I made sure to mark where the hanging hardware is on the templates so you can just nail through them and not have to do a lot of work putting nails in.

The finished product. I love how it turned out! And I loved that I got lots of frames out of my storage and onto my walls.

Chair Redo



                             Before                                                                           After
My work was going to throw this chair out and I knew I could do something fun with it. So I snagged it before we put it in the dumpster. It only had it about a month before I got to work on it. I got my fabric at Wal-mart. I think it's darling. So after sanding and painting all the wood, and running out of staples for the staple gun so I had to use tack nails to finish, here is the final product. I had originally wanted to put it in the toy room but I don't think it would last too long before it was colored on, or ripped, or spilled on, or something else to stain it. So I'm keeping it downstairs for a while.

No comments:

Out of Pocket

I knew that having a baby would max out our insurance deductible and the kids have needed their tonsils out for a while so this was the year...