Monday, March 14, 2011

Sicky Sick!

All my kids have been sick the past week. Tray first, then Kinlee, now Dylan. And isn't it so lovely that what they were passing along is RSV. Dylan got the worst of it and had to be put in the hospital.
He started Thursday with a cough. Then Friday he was so miserable. I almost didn't take him in to the doctor because I wasn't sure if he just had a cold or if it was RSV. I watched a few videos on YouTube of RSV kids and how their breathing sounded and I knew that he had it. I still wasn't sure if going to the doctor was worth it though because I wasn't sure of what they do to treat RSV. I knew it was a virus so I knew they can't give you medicine for it. Travis encouraged me to go to the doctor to see if they could do a breathing treatment or anything for him though.
I'm glad I went. He tested positive for RSV. They checked his oxygen levels and did a breathing treatment and sent me home with a prescription to go to the ER throughout the night for more treatments and suctioning.
We went to the ER around 10 that night before we went to bed for a treatment and came home. Dylan did pretty good through the night but when he woke up Saturday at 5 to eat he was struggling. So I took him back into the ER around 6:30 and the Respiratory Therapist was there. She checked his oxygen and it was 83%. Pretty low. She suctioned him, did a breathing treatment, and suctioned again. She told me that if we were more comfortable to just have D admitted we could do that so he could be monitored. I went home and talked to Travis about it and we decided that might be a good idea. We took the other kids up to my mom's to stay just in case we had to spend the night.

When we got back to the ER around 3 his oxygen was at 88 and he was dehydrated. They called the doctor and he decided to admit him for observation.

Saturday night was bad. He had a hard time breathing with all the snot and had to be suctioned out a lot.

Sunday morning we had hopes of going home. We were just staying for observation to see if he started having wet diapers and didn't need to be suctioned out too many times.

We took him off his oxygen to see if he could handle breathing on his own.
He didn't make it 10 minutes before his levels dropped and couldn't get back up again. So the tubes came back on. He looks so sad and swollen from his IV fluids.
Such a sad face! Not long after this picture Dylan took a bad turn. He had a hard time breathing and they couldn't get his airway to stay cleared. We got an x-ray done of his chest, did a deep suction, a breathing treatment, and a dose of steroids. Luckily he did not have pneumonia. The steroids helped so much and luckily we only had to do one more breathing treatment before bed.

Getting some snuggle time with mom.

Monday - Dylan had a great night. He stated eating really good and having frequent wet diapers. They took him off of oxygen around 8 and other than having a small breathing treatment he has done great on his own. The saddest part was when they had to take a blood sample and the first lady blew his vein out and they had to draw it from his foot.
We're just sitting around waiting for the doctor to come give us the ok to head home. I'm sure Dylan is dying to get out of here I know I am. And I miss my other kiddos.

No comments:

Out of Pocket

I knew that having a baby would max out our insurance deductible and the kids have needed their tonsils out for a while so this was the year...