Monday, March 7, 2011

Week 1 - 7 pounds

I'm so excited to be on a healthy journey that I thought I'd blog about each week so I can look back to see how far I've come. These posts will be long and pretty boring so I won't feel bad if no one reads them.

My sister volunteered to be my trainer. I'm kinda her guinea pig. I was scared. She trained to be in a fitness competition last year and I knew the diet she was on was brutal!! I prepared myself for the worst. When she gave me my diet information and I've studied it, it really isn't that hard. It's actually a lot of food to eat in the course of a day. A lot more than I have been eating.

The only thing that I knew would kill me is my addiction to pop! I HATE water! I've been asked to drink at least 3 liters a day. I make it usually within 1/2 a liter and I have NO cravings for soda pop either! The headache I had on day 2 was no fun, but I took a pill and have been fine since.

The biggest surprise to me was reading food labels. My diet consists mostly of "raw" food, similar to a Paleo diet. But foods that I don't or can't get fresh I have to check labels and if it has any form of sugar as a main ingredient I can't have it. I was surprised to see how many things I used to eat that I thought were healthy had sugar in them! Even my light yogurt had sugar listed as the 2nd ingredient.

Tuesday and Wednesday I felt like I was starving! I don't know if it has to do with me still nursing or my body being in shock, but I had to up my protein snack by 1 on both days. I didn't cheat just had a little more protein than I did the rest of the week.

Saturday was my cheat meal for the week. My friend had a baby shower and I knew I wouldn't be able to resists eating with my friends. But I must say, the way I felt after I ate my meal (and I no way even came close to finishing my plate) didn't even make cheating worth it. Well maybe the cupcake and 3 cakeballs I had did :) But I really did feel crappy all day Sunday.

Speaking of Sunday, it was the first day that I really craved sweets. At our house, Sunday is a stuff your face lazy day and the tradition must be en grained in my body because all I could do was think of fun stuff to bake and eat! But we made it with no cheating thanks to a big bowl of sugar-free Jello.

My exercising is probably the hardest to do. Every morning I wake up I try to talk myself out of it, but somehow I always end up working out and I feel great after! I am supposed to do 30-40 minutes of cardio 3 times a week followed by an ab workout and 30-40 minutes of strength training 3 times a week. And I get 1 day off of exercising. I'm trying to switch up my workouts so I don't get too bored but I'm thinking I should stick to the same thing for a few weeks so I can do it easily and then move onto something new. I bought Zumba for the Wii and I love it but I look like a fool doing it! (Good thing I close the blinds) I walk on the treadmill at a full incline for 30 minutes once a week. I've been doing Pilates for 40 minutes and Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I also have a Turbo Jam DVD I haven't done yet.

I pretty much got my trash kicked all week by all of these exercises. I hope by week 10 it will be the other way around.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Way to go!! You can do it, 10 weeks will go by so quickly! Then, Kelsey's turn to train you for a marathon? :)

Jaci said...

That's awesome Kami! way to go! Good luck getting the money!! And I know you will have a blast on your trip!!!

Out of Pocket

I knew that having a baby would max out our insurance deductible and the kids have needed their tonsils out for a while so this was the year...